Sunday, June 08, 2008

New Books

Today I am going to blog about some new books I have recently got, I am rarely disappointed by books, I could live in a library, however these ones are particularly good.



The first one is: The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to Be the Artist You Truly Are.

I agree the title does make it sound a little corny however it has been very reassuring and encouraging. It contains little mini tasks to do, to get the juices flowing. I found this at just the right time, feeling fed up that nothing has sold in my shop for a month, even though I have had lots of private orders. It is helping to keep me focused on doing things because I love them not to sell. I shall share the results as soon as I have some. Bought a new sketch book yesterday especially.


Book 2: Painted Quilt: Paint and Print Techniques for Colour on Quilts


Wow, it is so imspiring. I have no other books quite like this one. Lots of ideas and quite hard core quilts, no chintz in sight. It really spoke to me. Simple things like applying colour after working on the fabric. Really recommend this to anyone who likes working on fabric and feels like moving their direction.






Book 3: Altered Photo Artistry


Another massive, wow. If you have photoshop or photoshop elements there is loads of really sound advice in here on things to do with it. Within 5 minutes of owning the book I was on the computer and doing a new thing with my pictures and I thought I knew quite a bit already. If you don't have these programmes, good news the book comes with a CD that contains a trial version. I would describe it as a step by step book, but I would say it takes you through the whole process of using your photos on fabric with stitching. Already planning a project using the ideas. Another book with ideas in I have not come across before.

I am a going to be busy playing with all the new ideas I have read over the week end. No more books for a while now so that I can really get into these. Off to finish a commissioned bag inspired by Dartmoor, pictures coming soon.

No comments: